Community Builders and Class Reps
We are looking for two parents/guardians/caregivers from each classroom community to volunteer as classroom representatives and community builders throughout the school year. No previous experience is necessary. Indicate your interest via the online forms in early August.
General roles of class reps:
- Support a culture of belonging and mutual support in the classroom
- Support flow of information between the school, classroom teacher, and families
- Organization of two or more classroom or grade band events per school year (e.g. playground meetup, family picnic, pumpkin carving)
- Support communication within the classroom community (e.g. know everyone’s name, facilitate getting-to-know-each-other, support online conversations, etc)
- Meet with the teacher at the beginning of the school year to discuss ideas for family involvement
- Attend curriculum night to connect with families
- Support and organize teacher appreciation activities prior to winter break and again in May during National Teacher Appreciation Week.
- Help communicate information to classroom families about school-wide fundraising events and support search for volunteers
- Attend a one-hour training for class reps at the beginning of the school year
- Report back from the classroom to class rep coordinator, e.g. by attending class rep roundtable (4 per school year)
- Support and model the Giddens values of Equity & Access and Diversity & Inclusion